Who says you need fancy equipment to make a festival-worthy dance film? Right now, two New York City–based dance film festivals are calling for aspiring filmmakers to show their stuff—and you don’t need anything more cumbersome than a smartphone to get in on the action.
Here’s everything you need to know about how to submit:
This brand-new festival, hosted by New York City’s 92Y Harkness Dance Center, is dedicated to dance films shot solely with mobile devices. Ten jury-selected films will be screened on July 28; filmmakers will be notified by June 28.
Submission deadline: May 31
- Film duration: between 1–90 minutes
- Must include trailer for film, up to 1 minute
- Films and trailers must be shot entirely on mobile devices. (Footage from drones and/or GoPro is acceptable, but may constitute no more than 40% of the film.)
For full requirements and to submit your film, visit: https://www.92y.org/dance/mobile-dance-film-festival
#mydancefilm at the 2018 Dance on Camera Festival
Dance Films Association and Film Society of Lincoln Center are encouraging dancers to submit their short films via social media for a chance to see them appear at Lincoln Center this summer.
Submission deadline: July 15
- Film duration: a few seconds to a few minutes
- Tag @dancefilms on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter
- Use #mydancefilm and #DOCF20thru24July in description
Submit via: Facebook, Instagram or Twitter