It’s that time of year again! #ThankADanceTeacherDay is upon us, and we couldn’t be more thrilled to celebrate. There is no holiday that’s better fit for Dance Teacher magazine and our readership. May 2 is up there with Christmas, people!
If you’re unfamiliar with this holiday, here’s the inside scoop:
1. It’s a global movement started in 2014 by the National Dance Education Organization to shine light on the benefits of dance education.
2. Their goal for this year is to get all dancers, dance teachers and dance lovers to thank their dance teachers on social media. They want to spread the word on how valuable these mentors are by having us collectively share our stories of respect and adoration online.
3. This holiday is a BIG deal. I mean, even CLI Studios is getting involved! See what I’m talking about at this video here. Be prepared to get out the tissues!
4. If you want to get involved (and you know you do), be sure to use the #ThankADanceTeacherDay on all of your posts. The organization will be engaging with all posts that celebrate dance educators.
Need a little help getting started? The managing director of NDEO, Melissa Greenblatt has a few prompt suggestions. Check them out!
- How has a specific dance teacher made a lasting impact in your life, in or out of the studio?
- What is one way a dance teacher showed that they truly cared about you, as both a dancer and an individual?
- If you could tell your former dance teachers one thing, what would it be?
- Show an original movement phrase inspired by your favorite dance teacher.
- Tell your dance teacher thank-you through movement (without words).
We can’t wait to see all the teacher love you have to give and share.