2 Exercises to Stretch and Strengthen Your Pelvic Floor Muscles
December 14, 2018
Here are a few ways to keep this major muscle group in check.
The Perfect Kegel
Don’t forget to relax completely between reps!
- Lie on your back with legs in a comfortable position. This could mean legs outstretched or knees bent with feet flat on the floor.
- Take a few deep breaths and feel the gentle rise and fall of your abdomen.
- Inhale, and feel your stomach rise and relax.
- As you exhale, tighten your pelvic floor muscles as if you were stopping the flow of urine. At the same time, think of lifting the muscles toward your head. If it helps, imagine your pelvic floor like an elevator: Feel the doors close first, then lift the elevator up. Hold for one second.
- Inhale and fully relax. (You may want to exhale and inhale again to ensure the muscles truly release.)
- Repeat 10 contractions, four times a day.